The City of Victoria Citizens Academy is a free, nine-week program designed to help Victoria residents learn about their city government.
The course is a series of presentations, tours, and demonstrations by city departments. These presentations cover the basic departmental functions and goals and are followed by a question and answer session. A meal and drink are provided at each session.
Dates & Locations
The Citizens Academy is held from January to March on consecutive Thursday evenings from 6 to 8:30 pm.
Most Citizens Academy sessions are held at:
700 Main Center, Room 205
Victoria, TX 77901
Other sessions are held at city facilities including the:
- Emergency Operations Center
- Fire Training Facility
- Police headquarters
- Surface Water Treatment Plant
- Victoria Public Library
Participants will also have an opportunity to attend a City Council meeting.
2020 Citizen’s Academy Postponement Notice
The 2020 Citizen’s Academy has been postponed until 2021.
2019 Academy Schedule
- Meet department heads and staff
- Learn how decisions are made, how city funds are allocated and how departments operate
- Enjoy comprehensive overviews of departments and programs and services
- Discover the current status and future plans for Victoria’s:
- Emergency response services
- Tourism, and other topics
- Participate in lively discussions and interactive activities
- Tour city facilities
- Become an informed, involved citizen
Apply to Join
Any residents interested in learning about city operations or who have expressed opinions about city services, operations or governing are invited to attend. We accept up to 20 citizens as academy participants.
The academy is free to Victoria residents 21 years and older.
2021 Academy Applications
We will begin accepting applications to participate in the 2021 academy starting in the fall of 2020.
For More Information
Visit the Apply for Citizens Academy page, or call 361-485-3110 today for more information.